10.18.2009

The Lace Reader: Reshelved

Most of the time when reading, I operate under what I like to call The Rule of 50.  In short, this means that approximately 50 pages into a book {give or take, depending on where a chapter ends} I have a pretty good feeling about whether or not I want to continue reading.  If I'm not "feeling" it, I re-shelve it with plans to give it another chance at some point in the future; because I'm fully aware that it's entirely possible I'm setting aside a very good book that deserves at least one more attempt to get into it.  Sometimes a book will pass The Rule of 50 on the second go-round, and I'll realize it didn't work for me the first time because it just didn't mesh with my reading mood at that moment. Some books fail the second attempt, at which point I decide that the book just wasn't my cup of tea.


  I began reading The Lace Reader the other day, and a little more than 50 pages in I could tell that the book wasn't working for me right now.  Could I put my finger on the reason why?  Not really.  Sometimes a story just doesn't grab me, and this was definitely one of those times.

So, for the time being it has been thrown back into the TBR pile.  Eventually, I'll give it another chance and see what happens...




In the meantime, I picked up the other title from my recent impulse buys {ComeBack by Claire and Mia Fontaine} and finished it last night.  No review today, as I've contracted some kind of bug and don't feel like doing much of anything other than curling up in bed with another book until it's time for The Food Network later this evening.  Stay tuned, though... I'll definitely post the review sometime in the next few days.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend!

7 comments:

  1. I've got The Lace Reader up on Mt. TBR. It hasn't even gotten its first shot at being read yet. I totally get needing to be in the right mood for certain books. Hopefully you'll like it the second time around!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Lace Reader but the main character was very hard to warm up to.

    I think that happens to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great rule! i definitely have books that i just can't get into. i hope that someday i will, when my perspective changes, my views change or i am just older and can appreciate it better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. I never could get through The Memory Keeper's Daughter even with all the great reviews. I told myself I'd try again, but don't know if I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had imposed the 50 pg rule on this book. What a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You inspired me!
    I had the Lace Reader in my TBR pile.
    I moved it to the top.
    I am almost half way through and I like it so far. There are parts of the main character that are bugging me but I like it! So far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to report back -
    I finished the Lace Reader last night.
    So here are my thoughts -
    I enjoyed it but I would NEVER recommend it.
    Weird but here is why -
    there are quite a few sensitive topics covered: sexual abuse, mental illness, suicide, drug and alcohol abuse etc.
    Although the main character was very troubled; most of the characters were troubled for that matter, I found the book interesting and compelling.
    However, due to the many sensitive topics, it would be difficult to recommend to anyone who has dealt with any of these issues. It really isn't a book about healing so I don't think it would have redeeming value. Does this make any sense????
    Although, it was a compelling read for me, you were smart to put the book down. It wasn't grabbing you and reading time is valuable!

    ReplyDelete